Online Cemetery Burial Records and Indexes
General Cemetery Records Listings
- Find A Grave
- BillionGraves.com Index at FamilySearch
- Tombstone Transcription Project Nationwide volunteer project to record burials
- Gravestone Photo Project - List of States for about 39 states; the Iowa and Arkansas projects each have over 1 million entries
- Cemetery Information Management System (CIMS) Cemetery Maps maps and burial searches for various cemeteries around the country
- CemeteryFind - Cemetery Burials includes some cemeteries in Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana and New Hampshire
- Windy Prairie Cemeteries has burial searches for some cemeteries in the Midwest. Most are in Kansas and Nebraska.
- Names in Stone - Cemetery Maps and Records
- RecordAGrave Index at FamilySearch; a small collection of cemetery records, many in Florida; records are also included at FindAGrave (see above)
- Forgotten Ashes database of unclaimed cremated remains for some funeral homes in Florida, Indiana, Michigan, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington
Jewish Burial Records
How To Find Where Someone is Buried
- Military Burials and Indexes from Ancestry (these require an Ancestry subscription)
- Obituaries sometimes name the cemetery where the person is buried. See this website's Obituaries Research Guide.
- Death Certificates sometimes name the cemetery. Some states have (usually older) digitized death certificates that can be downloaded online (some are free, others fee-based). For some states, you may be able to order a copy of the death certificate for a fee, but be aware that sometimes restrictions may apply. See the list of states at the bottom of this webpage.
- Funeral Homes: If the obituary doesn't name the cemetery, it may name the funeral home. If the death was somewhat recent, try calling the funeral home to see if they know where the person was buried. Also, many funeral homes have obituaries on their websites.
- Military Veterans: See the military section above.
- Online Cemetery Indexes: See the general section above. There are also online cemetery burial indexes for some counties and cities. To find some of these click on a state below...