Online St. Louis and Missouri Death Indexes and Records
- From the Missouri State Archives (free to use)
- From Reclaim the Records (free to use)
Obituaries and Death Notices in St. Louis Newspapers
- From Ancestry (these require a fee-based subscription to Ancestry's collection of genealogy records)
St. Louis Cemeteries and Burial Indexes
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Obituaries Archive, 1988-present (you can obtain copies of the obituaries online for a fee)
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Obituary Index Covers 1880-1930, 1942-1945, 1960-1970, 1992-2020 and Jan-Feb, 2021. You can order scanned copies from the St. Louis City Public Library at no charge. There is a fee for printed copies. Listings include obituaries, death notices and burial permits.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Death Index (Obituaries, etc.), 1975-June 1977
- Deaths Reported in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1881-1891
- Index to Deaths in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1860-1861, 1880, 1881, 1883
- St. Louis Sun Obituary Index, 1989-1990
- St. Louis Argus Obituary Index African-American community newspaper
- Westliche Post Obituaries Index, 1876-1895 (some months missing) St. Louis German-language newspaper
St. Louis Probate Records and Wills
- St. Louis County Cemeteries...
St. Louis Coroner and Medical Examiner Indexes
- Missouri Wills and Probate Records, 1766-1988 (at Ancestry/requires payment) coverage varies by county; includes indexed and digitized records for St. Louis City Probate Files c.1812-c.1898 and Wills c.1816-c.1967; index may not be complete
- St. Louis Probate Court Digitization Project part of the Missouri Judicial Records Collection; includes...
- Saint Louis County Probate Court (1804-1876)
- Saint Louis City Probate Court (1876-1900, the city separated from the county in 1876)
- St. Louis Circuit Court Probate Division Historical File Indexes includes indexes for letters, refusal of letters, guardianships, no letter wills, and unproven wills
- St. Louis City Wills Indexes, 1816-1967 Using the FHL microfilm roll numbers (plus book and page number) given in this index, you may be able to find some of the wills at FamilySearch:
- St. Louis County Will Book Index, 1876-1889 does not include St. Louis City
- Missouri Probate Records, 1750-1998 at FamilySearch Coverage varies by county. These records are currently unindexed, but you may be able to use the indexes listed above as finding aids when browsing through the online images at FamilySearch for St. Louis. Includes...
- St. Louis City Probate Case Files, 1876-early 1901, and Wills, 1816-1967
- St. Louis County Probate Case Files, 1802-1876, 1891.
St. Louis Funeral Home and Mortuary Indexes
Miscellaneous St. Louis Death Indexes
Ordering St. Louis and Missouri Vital Records
- Missouri Coroner's Inquest Database includes St. Louis City Office of the Coroner - Inquests, 1845-1900 and St. Louis Medical Examiner - Inquests, 1889-1899
- Annual Reports of the Coroner and the Superintendent of the Morgue of the City of St. Louis Index, 1879-1897
- Index to Names in the Annual Reports of the Coroner of Saint Louis, Missouri, for the Years 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1897
- St. Louis County Coroner's Records Index, 1826-1873 most are from 1838-1848 and 1858-1861
- St. Louis County Coroner's Records, Indexes to Natural Deaths, 1953-1962
- Order Missouri Vital Records by Mail (fees and restrictions apply)
- Missouri State Archives Death Certificates 1910-1970 are available for free downloading online -- see the link near the top of this page