Online New York Death Records Indexes
New York Death Records Indexes, Obituaries and Cemeteries by County
- New York State Death Indexes (these do not include New York City; see the NYC section below)
- New York State Genealogical Research Death Index, 1957 to 50 years ago free; currently ends in late 1972
- New York State Death Records Index, 1880-1956 free from FamilySearch with images of the index from Reclaim the Records; requires registration; Deaths for Yonkers, Buffalo and Albany are not included until 1915.
- New York State Death Index, 1880-1956 at Ancestry/requires payment; starts with 1852 for the city of Buffalo and 1870 for the city of Albany; Yonkers starts with 1875, but 1890 to about 1914 or 1915 is missing for Yonkers
- New York State Death Indexes, 1880-1956 free; at Archive.org/from Reclaim the Records; scanned images of the indexes for each year, but not searchable by name; does not include Yonkers, Buffalo, and Albany from 1880 to about 1914 or 1915; for Buffalo death indexes for those years, see the Ancestry index above or the Erie County section below
- Albany County...
- Allegany County...
- Brooklyn - see the New York City section below
- Buffalo - see the Erie County section below
- Cattaraugus County Cemeteries
- Cayuga County: St. Joseph's Cemetery Burials in Auburn, New York
- Chautauqua County...
- Chemung County Library Obituaries Indexes
- Columbia County: Index to Burials 60,000 names
- Delaware County Cemeteries and Genealogy Indexes includes indexes for cemetery burials, probate files, vital records and some obituaries
- Dutchess County: Interments in Dutchess County Cemeteries before 1880
- Erie County and Buffalo...
- Buffalo Death Indexes, 1852-1944 at Archive.org/from Reclaim the Records; scanned images of the indexes
- Death and Obituary Indexes from the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library includes: Buffalo Deaths, 1882-1892; Death Notices and Obituaries in the Buffalo News, 4-22-2009 to 2010; Index to Births, Marriages, and Deaths found in select Buffalo and Erie County Publications, 1870s-1950; some cemetery burial records; and other items
- Indexes To Select Death Notices From The Buffalo, NY Area has over 167,000 names
- Erie County: Dziennik Dla Wszystkich Death Notice Database, 1911-1957 Polish language newspaper from Buffalo, New York
- Erie County: Forest Lawn Group of Cemeteries Search includes Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo; St. Matthew's Cemetery in West Seneca; Lakeside Cemetery in Hamburg; Williamsville Cemetery; and cremations at Buffalo Cremation
- Erie County: Hamburg, New York, Prospect Lawn Cemetery Index, 1850-1950 (at Ancestry/requires payment)
- Erie County: Lackawanna, Holy Cross Cemetery Records, 1855-1965 at FamilySearch
- Erie County: Lodge Cemetery Records (Jewish Cemetery in Buffalo, NY)
- Erie County Cemeteries
- Essex County: Willsboro Heritage Society Cemetery Burial Lists
- Franklin County Cemeteries
- Fulton County Cemeteries
- Genesee County Obituary Indexes for assorted years 1898-2008; also has indexes for marriages and other items
- Hamilton County Cemeteries also has indexes for other genealogy items
- Herkimer County Cemetery Transcriptions
- Herkimer Evening Telegram Obituary Index from the Frank J. Basloe Library
- Ithaca - see Tompkins County below
- Jefferson County Estate Claims Index, 1800s
- Jefferson County Vital Records, 1847-1849
- Livingston County: Dansville Obituary Index, 1958-present
- Livingston County Historian Genealogy Records Index includes burials up to 1885 and other items
- Long Island...
- See the separate sections for Nassau County, Suffolk County and New York City (Brooklyn and Queens)
- Madison County Cemeteries
- Madison County: Cemetery Inscriptions of Madison County, New York - Towns of Fenner & Nelson (requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription)
- Manhattan - see the New York City section below
- Monroe County...
- Montgomery County Tombstone Inscriptions
- Nassau County...
New York State Cemeteries and Miscellaneous
- New York City Death Records, Obituaries and Indexes
The New York City section has moved to its own webpage...
Ordering New York State (except NYC) Death Certificates and Vital Records
Other Helpful New York Genealogy Resources
- New York Gravestone Photo Project
- New York, Cemetery Abstracts, 1800-1965 from FamilySearch; miscellaneous collection of cemetery records from New York State; has 175,000 entries
- Northern New York Tombstone Transcription Project for Clinton, Essex, and Franklin Counties
- Western New York Genealogy Indexes from the Painted Hills Genealogy Society includes cemetery burials and other indexes for Allegany County, Cattaraugus County, Chautauqua County and Steuben County
- New York, Church and Civil Deaths, 1824-1962 collection of miscellaneous NY records from FamilySearch
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850 (at Ancestry/requires payment) scanned searchable book; includes marriage and death notices from the Republican Advocate of Batavia, the Steuben Farmers Advocate of Bath, the Geneva Gazette, the Jamestown Journal, and Palmyra's Wayne Sentinel; coverage varies