Online North Carolina Death Certificates and Indexes
- North Carolina Death Indexes and Vital Records at Ancestry (these require payment)
North Carolina Death Records Indexes, Obituaries and Cemeteries by County
- North Carolina Death Records and Indexes from FamilySearch (free with registration) includes...
- North Carolina Deaths, 1906-1930 (index and digitized images of the death records)
- North Carolina Deaths, 1931-1994 (index only)
- North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970 (images only -- not yet indexed; most records are from 1800-1930; coverage varies by county; may not include all counties)
- North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 (does not include all counties; coverage varies by county)
- North Carolina, Department of Archives and History, Index to Vital Records, 1800-2000 (for births, delayed births, and deaths)
North Carolina Cemetery Burials - General
- Alamance County Area Obituary Indexes and Abstracts has indexes for 1875-1914 and abstracts for 1915-1929
- Buncombe County Register of Deeds Index Search includes deaths, 1913-recent
- Cabarrus County: Independent Tribune Obituary Index, 2001-2014 also has indexes for delayed birth certificates, marriages and other items
- Caldwell County Register of Deeds: Birth, Marriage and Death Index
- Catawba County...
- Charlotte - see the Mecklenburg County section below
- Cherokee County Genealogy Records includes some cemetery burials
- Columbus County...
- Craven County...
- Cumberland County Cemeteries
- Davidson County: Lexington Dispatch Obituaries Indexes also has cemetery indexes; from the Davidson County Public Library
- Davidson County Vital Records, 1867-2006 from FamilySearch; images only; includes birth certificates, marriage licenses and death records; coverage varies by type of record
- Davie County Genealogy Document Portal includes scanned obituaries and some obituary indexes; from the Davie County Public Library
- Durham County...
- Forsyth County Cemetery Survey Records from the Work Projects Administration (WPA)
Historical Records Survey of North Carolina
- Gaston County...
- Guilford County...
- Harnett County...
- Hyde County Death Certificate Index, 1913-1991
- Iredell County Records Search includes births, marriages, deaths and some cemetery burials
- Johnston County...
- Macon County...
- Mecklenburg County...
- Moore County Death Records Index 1987-present also has indexes for births and marriages
- New Hanover County...
- Northampton County Burials Database lists over 4300 burials in Northampton County
- Onslow County...
- Person County WPA Cemetery Survey Records scanned searchable book; compiled in 1937 by the Historical Records Survey of North Carolina
- Person County Cemeteries
- Raleigh - see the Wake County section below
- Randolph County: Asheboro Courier and Courier-Tribune Newspapers - Obituaries Index, 1903-2005 from the Randolph County Public Library
- Union County Public Library Obituary Indexes for Monroe and Marshville Newspapers (various years)
- Wake County and Raleigh...
- Washington County Cemetery Burials and Death Indexes includes a death records index 1913-1980, links to online cemetery books and many other items
- Wayne County Death Index 1995-2016
- Wilmington: see New Hanover County above
North Carolina Wills and Estate Indexes
- North Carolina, Historical Records Survey, Cemetery Inscription Card Index (WPA) from FamilySearch; some counties not included
- North Carolina WPA Cemetery Survey Records - Tombstone Transcription Project PDF documents of these records for most North Carolina counties; to search these records by name, see:
- Cemeteries of Some North Carolina Counties includes some cemeteries in Alamance County, Caswell County, Chatham County, Durham County, Forsyth County, Granville County, Person County, Sampson County, Surry County, Vance County, Wake County and other North Carolina counties
Ordering North Carolina Vital Records
- North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch; free with registration
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives includes estate indexes for: Alamance, Alexander, Alleghany, Avery, Bute, Cabarrus, Camden, Catawba, Cherokee, Clay, Cleveland, Columbus, Dare, Durham, Gaston, Graham, Hertford, Jackson, Macon, Martin, McDowell, Mitchell, Moore, Pamlico, Pender, Perquimans, Polk, Sampson, Stanly, Stokes, Swain, Transylvania, Washington and Yancey counties; wills indexes for Ashe, Avery, Beaufort, Buncombe, Cherokee, Cumberland, Davidson, Forsyth, Gates, Greene, Haywood, Hyde, Jackson, Macon, Mecklenburg, Pamlico, Richmond, Rowan, Stokes, and Wilkes counties; and Columbus County Coroners' Inquest index, 1914-1968, 1981 (coverage varies by county)
- North Carolina Digital Collections: Secretary of State Wills, 1663-1789 Loose original wills probated in the province.