Online South Carolina Death Records Indexes
South Carolina Death Records Indexes, Obituaries and Cemeteries by County
- South Carolina Death Certificates and Index, 1915-1970 (at Ancestry/requires payment) includes: digitized statewide death certificates, 1915-1970; Charleston City death records, 1821-1914; Spartanburg City death records, 1895-1897 and 1903-1914; and Union City death records, 1900 and 1913-1914
South Carolina Probate Records and Indexes
- Anderson County Library System - Local Obituary Index covers 1950-1955, 1971, 1980, and 2010-2018
- Beaufort County Obituary Index, 1862-c.1992
- Charleston County...
- Chesterfield County: Cheraw Chronicle & Chesterfield Advertiser Obituary Archive 2003-recent (not complete)
- Colleton County: The Press and Standard Newspaper Index, 1873-present Walterboro, SC
- Columbia - see Richland County below
- Dillon County: Extracts of Obituaries from the Dillon Herald 1931-recent
- Edgefield County Will Book Index, 1836-1853
- Greenville County...
- Greenwood County Library Obituary Index for Greenwood, SC Newspapers work in progress
- Horry County Historical Society Records includes indexes for death records, wills, obituaries, cemeteries and more
- Lexington County Public Library Newspaper Obituary/Death Notice Index
- Lexington County Probate Court Indexes includes estate indexes, 1865-1994; estate search, 1995-present; and some marriage indexes (PDFs)
- Richland County...
- Spartanburg County Death Registers and Obituaries (roughly 1849-present; some years missing)
- Union County: Index of Probate Records, 1782-1865
- York County Library News and Obituary Index
Assorted South Carolina Death Indexes
- South Carolina Probate Search for the following counties: Aiken, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Greenwood, Jasper, Kershaw, Marlboro, Newberry, Oconee, and Saluda (also has marriage indexes for Charleston and York Counties)
- South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964 from FamilySearch; images only, not searchable by name; most are for the mid-1800s through 1930.
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History Database Search includes Will Transcripts, 1782 - circa 1855
Ordering South Carolina Vital Records
- 1870 Census Mortality Schedule for Upstate South Carolina lists people who died in the year prior to the census being taken (June 1, 1869 - May 31, 1870)
includes Chester, Newberry, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, Union and York Counties
- Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880
- Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina - Cemetery Burials
- Southern Christian Advocate and South Carolina United Methodist Advocate Obituaries Index from the Wofford College Sandor Teszler Library
- South Carolina State Hospital Cemetery Records
- CSI: Dixie - South Carolina Coroners Reports, 1800-1900 has 1,582 digitized coroners reports from Anderson, Edgefield, Greenville, Kershaw, Spartanburg and Union Counties